- Work funded by EPA through LUST program
- Site suitable for unrestricted use
- 2010-No Further Environmental Investigation or Cleanup Required Under Current Land Use Scenario letter issued by EPA
- 2010-Petroleum contaminated soil and groundwater remain in the subsurface beneath portions of the property and Division Street
- No formal institutional controls: If excavation and/or construction into contaminated materials below depts. of approximately three to four feet, then additional cleanup or institutional controls will be necessary
Bovey Oil stored and dispensed petroleum fuels since at least the 1920’s. The facility closed for business in the late 1990’s as a retail service station/garage, and bulk fuel distribution operation. The most recent configuration consisted 10 USTs located in four basins, two pump islands, a fuel truck loading rack, and an office/station garage with a loading dock and a bulk containerized oil storage area.
Four 10,000 gallon (two diesel and two gasoline) USTs located on the south side of the station building provided fuel to the southwestern pump island while three 2,000 gallon (diesel/heating oil) USTs located on the east side of the station building provided fuel to the northeastern pump island. A 560 gallon kerosene UST was located on the southeast side of the station building near the fuel truck loading rack. Two 560 gallon USTs, one for waste oil and the other for heating oil to fuel the building’s furnace, were located on the west side of the property. The 10 UST systems (including tanks, associated piping and pump islands) were permanently closed by removal in July/August 2006. Also removed were 564 cubic yards of petroleum contaminated soil that were transported to another Bovey property near Winchester, ID, and placed in a 1-1.5 foot lift for landfarm treatment. During removal, the tanks were observed to be in good condition with no cracks or holes indicating that fuel releases likely resulted from overfills, improperly sealed pipe joints, and from connections at pump islands. The tank excavations were backfilled with clean, crushed rock.